25 August 2011

marriage teaches you things


Somehow, being married has made me more aware of potential loss. I feel it more poignantly- I make sure to kiss husband as many times as he'll allow before one of us walks out the door. I relish moments cuddled in bed together, and fear taking them for granted. And when we argue- because it does happen- at some point we both just want more to forgive than to be right. When we are mad at each other, it feels like we're wasting time. 

At a wedding this summer, the pastor preached the need for forgiveness in marriage. He asserted that, more than lovey-dovey romance, marriage depends on forgiveness. It depends on knowing, in the midst of egos and opinions, that you will always forgive. 

We know that. That's what we're committed to. That's why staying mad feels like we're wasting time. Instead of staying curled up on the love seat, emanating anything but love, I need to swallow my self-conscious pride and hug it out with my husband. Too much grace has covered me for me to act otherwise. 


And hugging it out is so freaking wonderful. 

3 comments:

  1. Amen, sister. Two sinners under one roof means lots of forgiveness has to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister. Two sinners under one roof means lots of forgiveness has to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that line, kimberly-- when you're mad at each other it just feels like you're wasting time. so true.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...