12 February 2016

taking stock // 11

making: Granola. I've been using this recipe as a base and then going my own way, using what we have on hand (walnuts instead of cashews, coconut instead of vegetable oil). It doesn't take long to prep, makes the house smell delightful, and Alice and I plow through a double batch in an embarrassingly short amount of time.

drinking: My go-to Earth Mama Angel Baby Heartburn Tea. I discovered an incredible discount on Amazon and now feel justified in my brazen guzzling of it all the day long. 

reading: Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott. I should do a whole post just reviewing all the pregnancy/motherhood books. I just finished Waiting for Birdy and openly rave about Great With Child any chance I get. The three are completely different in tone, but I've appreciated each. Lamott's approach is, unsurprisingly, the least precious of the three. Motherhood with a side of crass and angst and Jesus. 

wanting: I'm debating a trim. Do I let my hair continue its awkward growing-out journey, or do I sacrifice a bit of length for the sake of a less wonky cut? Maybe I'll just cut the back haphazardly by myself...

sledding with Babah last weekend

watching: An occasional episode of old-school Mister Roger's Neighborhood with Alice. I was trying to hold out on any sort of television/media until she turned two. Then I turned into a tired, seven-months-pregnant, whale and my resilience waned. Mister Rogers is so calm and kind that I almost don't mind my weakness. 

listening: Longest Shortest Time is back! 

eating: Alice's Wednesday sitter is a lovely grad student from China who has taken to making us unsolicited traditional Chinese dishes for dinner. And we love it. This week she brought us a lo mein sort of meal, complete with organic chicken. Alice kept saying "more, more" as we ate. 

smelling: Our dogs stink. So, Jake gave them both baths. Then, the house smelled like wet dog. UGH.

wishing: That the arctic temps predicted for this weekend would jump back into the realm of tolerable. It was a balmy 3 degrees when I left the house this morning. That just seems unnecessarily cold. 

enjoying: The new words Alice is popping out with every day. This week's include "more," "toot," and "moo." 

post-sledding cousin cuddles (short-lived, but darn cute)

loving: My work on Mondays with college theatre students. 

hoping: That my cold is short lived. Farewell sinus headaches and raw red nose. Please.

needing: A reminder that extreme moods and reactions are hormonal. I don't remember mood swings as prominently with Alice, but this trimester has been an emotional one already. Trapeze-like swings.  

feeling: Congested. A little weary. A lotta hopeful.

wearing: I'm growing out of things day by day. Pants I wore last week make me break a sweat to get on and off this week. There are no "go-to"s when the fit of everything shifts so dramatically and consistently. It makes getting dressed a bit difficult. I don't tend to wear leggings as pants, but am getting closer and closer to embracing that as my only option.

bookmarking: This piece on birth around the world- packing for birth specifically. 

1 comment:

  1. ooh bring on the motherhood book review! are you going to read "some assembly required," lamott's book on becoming a grandmother? and i loved the hospital bag article, having had babies in two very different countries- i could relate to many of the mothers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...