15 January 2016

hello little one // week 28


Hello little one,

I have deemed you my "dancing starfish." Surely you have sprouted extra limbs! Your flailing wakes me up at night and I am in awe of how you seem to be everywhere all at once. Did Alice stretch out the place for you? It seems you have plenty of dance floor available for your wild moves. Even in utero, Alice seemed diligently focused, hammering away at my ribs until they were bruised. She's maintained that temperament on the outside, content to look at books or play with a bowl of rice for long stretches, stubborn in all the best ways. Your dancing causes me to imagine you an artist, with flowing creativity and wild whims. I love how you seem entirely your own little being already. What a joy it will be to get you know you, whoever you may be.

We've wrapped up the holiday hubbub and now you-you-you dominate my plans and schemes. I feel equals parts excited, frightened, anxious and thrilled at the seemingly minuscule matter of time left between now and the rest of our lives with you. I've been trying to recall those earliest days of your sister's life, remembering how time took on a different sort of weight and how a contentment just to be washed over me. I'd never known the rich beauty of simply soaking up the presence of someone you love deeply and desperately. Oh, I could stare at Alice for hours (and I did!). And, soon enough, I will experience that slowing down and soaking up with you. What gifts you will bring.

I love you, little one. Keep dancing and growing (and eclipsing my feet from view).

Love, mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...